Thursday, December 15, 2011

The New Year

I kind of get the whole age thing in South Korea. When I was there, I found out that they celebrated birthdays a bit different than the Western part of the world -or any part of the world as far as I can tell. I guess they still had normal birthdays but they aged differently. Everyone turned a year older in January. January 1st. I don't know enough about all the celebrations. They do have a Korean New Year as well though. They also celebrate the New Year on January 1st, and that's when everybody turns a year older. They are actually 1 when they are born, and even if they're born December, they'll turn 2 on January 1st. If I'm getting this wrong, please correct me. I remember my students telling me I was older than I was after New Year.

What I'm getting at is I understand why I'd want it this way. I'm not at all sure why they have chosen to do it this way. I just tried to google it, but didn't get an answer that satisfied me. I didn't spend as much time as I could have. For some reason, it just seems like when you turn a year older, and New Year are the time in your life when you 'vow' to make all your changes (or resolutions). So Why not make the changes New Year's day -the same day you're a year older. It's like a clean slate every year. A new age, and a new chance at changes.

In other words: I'm very much looking forward to the New Year. I am looking forward to new goals, and new experiences. I'm not doing it now, I want to wait. It is good that I'm not aging earlier I guess, but the year that aged me, would certainly give me more initiative.

This entry doesn't seem to have made as much sense as it did in my head. I'm going to publish it either way. Maybe somebody will get what I'm trying to say. I kind of doubt it though because the more I tried to explain, the less I understood what I was talking about.

I'll be writing my goals in here. Slowly, one at a time before New Year. This doesn't mean they'll happen. It just means I know what I want to change in my life. It's what I will resolve to do. (I will resolve to make the goals... and TRY to do them).

E

No comments: